Mary Pidkowich, President, Olzhych Foundation in Canada.
On November 17, 2018, the Olzhych Foundation in Canada will be celebrating its 30th Anniversary with a special programme that includes the showing of an abridged version documentary film dedicated to the life and work of Oleh Kandyba (Olzhych).
The Olzhych Foundation in Canada was created by an Act of Parliament on August 25, 1988, to support and promote the development of Ukrainian culture in Canada, and to help Ukraine establish herself as a democratic and independent nation.
The Olzhych Foundation was incorporated as a non-profit organization under the Canadian Department of Consumer and Corporate Affairs and registered with Revenue Canada with a charitable number.
The name of the Olzhych Foundation was chosen to honour Oleh Kandyba (Olzhych), 1907-1944, poet, archaeologist, patriot, and member of the Organization Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN).
The operation of the Foundation may be carried on throughout Canada and the rest of the world. In Canada, the Foundation receives generous funding from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC), with proceeds granted to various individuals and groups, including:
– The Olzhych Foundation Annual Literary Contest for children attending Ukrainian Schools (Ridna Shkola);
– participants in bandura classes in Kiwanis and Ukrainian Music Festivals;
– children for day programs and UNF Toronto Sokil Children’s Summer Camp;
– youth and senior’s organizations;
– Ukrainian Canadian Social Services – Toronto;
– Vesnivka, Boyan, Orpheus Choirs and Elmer Iseler Singers for concerts;
– Ukrainian Art Song Project;
– Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra;
– Sick Kids Foundation, Ukraine Pediatric Fellowship Program;
– Ukrainian organizations celebrating anniversaries and events honouring Ukrainian writers, historians and political activists;
– publication of books and periodicals on culture, history and literature;
– documentary films;
– Toronto Holodomor Memorial and other projects.
The Olzhych Foundation in Canada also supports and financially assists various programs, projects, and publications of the Olzhych Foundation in Kyiv, Ukraine to promote the independence of Ukraine as a sovereign, free and democratic nation.
The Foundation relies on the generosity of Ukrainian Canadians whose financial support helps make our activities successful. We thank everyone who has made all of this possible. Still, the demands of individuals and organizations in Canada and Ukraine exceed what the Foundation can provide in assistance. Testaments, bequests and all donations are greatly appreciated. We welcome all contributions to fulfill the obligations
of the Foundation.
Come and join us in celebrating the 30th Anniversary of The Olzhych Foundation on Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 4 pm. This event starts with a short concert programme featuring Vesnivka and Toronto Ukrainian Male Chamber Choirs, and children reciting poetry by Olzhych, followed by the biographical documentary film on him “Ya Kamin’ z Bozhoyi Prashchi”, then dinner held in the Trident Banquet Hall at the Ukrainian National Federation Community Centre, 145 Evans Ave., Toronto.